Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gingerbread No More

Trying to keep with holiday traditions, our Saturday before Christmas featured baking activities to which a gingerbread house was to be made. Well to say that it was a complete and total bust would be an understatement.


A couple of weeks back I bought one of those pre-made gingerbread houses that all you have to do is mix the icing and slap the sides together. Well Daniel and I tried to "slap" the sides together yesterday and is was not good. The house landed on the floor in pieces and the rest landed in the trash and left a little one in tears.


So after our adventure to Lowe's to make the final section of our wooden train, I went back to the store to pick-up another kit. Though they did have another kit I came to the realization that houses are not my thing and are way beyond my skill level, as well as, patience level. Having this moment in the store I saw this and it was on sale.....





And knew I could handle this with Daniel. All went well until the green icing took a life of its own and flew out of the pastry bag they provided in the kit. And then I had the issue of Daniel wanting to eat the tree whole.....




I was able to get at least "the picture" before the activity was no more fun for the little man...

"The Happy Little Gingerbread Maker"
In the end, here is what our tree looks like.....
Not a total bust but I certainly am not "The Next Great Baker" in anyway shape or form. Until next year when I think making a gingerbread house or tree is a good idea.

No comments: