Thursday, September 9, 2010

Only Daniel!!

I swear - only Daniel. Before lunch everything, meaning his G-Tube, was intact.

However, pretty much right after lunch, everything was NOT intact.

Apparently, Daniel somehow figured out how to pull/wiggle his G-Tube far enough out of his tummy that it was almost completely out by the time I answered the "Mommy, I Need You" call from room the living room. Here my friends is what I saw.......



His G-Tube almost completely out and just waiting to be pulled. Though I did not expect my three and half year old to pull his own G-Tube out, we were in the process of picking a date to pull it ourselves in the next two weeks or so as Daniel's three month "probation of not using the tube at all" was up on Labor Day. I even went to the pediatrician this morning to get an appointment for the day after we decided to pull it so they could take a peek at the site to see if what Cincinnati has always told me was true - that the site would close up on its own in a matter of hours.

So, with the tube hanging, I went into a tailspin. I got the band-aids, gauze pads and tape, and pulled what was left of the tube out. I do have to say I think it is poetic justice that I was home alone with Daniel as I just said to Mike last night, "I should be the one to pull it as I got him to eat and had to sit through almost two years of feeding therapy appointments."

Here is what the site looks like once the tube was out... (Don't worry, it is not bad at all.)

And the G-Tube itself.

It appears that the balloon portion, which is inflated with water and is what holds it in place, split apart and deflated hence why it was so easy for Daniel to remove it himself. How long has it been like that, only God knows.

I do have to admit that the folks in Cincinnati were 100% right when they told me/us that the site would close pretty quickly. Truth be told, as I was getting my act together to get the bandage on, I was totally watching the site and could see what they meant. It was very cool.
Daniel was an awesome "patient" as he did everything I told him to do and even giggled as I pulled the remaining part out. He let me clean the area with sterile water and put the gauze pad and tape on without any issues. Of course he needed a Star Wars band-aid to help protect the site.
So, despite all the debating we did as to who, where, and when it was going to happen, it just did not matter as it once again was all up to Daniel. Way to go Buddy!!
Happy No More G-Tube Day!!!

No comments: